Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Best of 2009: Movie Edition

I'm not much of a movie connoisseur these days (I blame general stupidity in Hollywood for this one), but I still do watch films. I mostly use Netflix and Blockbuster, so there you go.

Alright, let's get to the good stuff. The best of 2009!



Star Trek:
As a non-Trekkie, I went in only knowing the basics (i.e. the characters' names and not much else). Even with what little knowledge on the series and the mythos, the story was well-executed and the characters fleshed-out. One of the bigger surprises for me was Simon Pegg's appearance (loved him since Hot Fuzz, another must-see). Not sure if this has converted me into watching the show, but at least I get most of the fuss. If you enjoy sci-fi and action mixed with a good story and characters, then this is a must-see.

Ponyo:
Miyazaki can do no wrong. This film proves that he still has it: the animation lush and engrossing, the story heartwarming and relevant (dealing with global warming, etc.), the characters well-developed. His films are living examples of the right way to make an animated film. Pixar follows close behind. The film made me very happy, long after watching it in theaters. When a film comes along and charms its audience as this one did, what's not to love?

And my choice for the best film of 2009 is...

Inglourious Basterds:
Yeah, I didn't expect to like this movie so much, but after watching it a few times (once in the theaters, another time at home), its awesomeness began to sink in. The length (which I complained about initially) was no longer an issue. Great performances all around, even from Brad Pitt, who I considered to be a poor actor. The best performance came from Melanie Laurent, whose role as Shoshanna Dreyfus stole the whole show. The story was misadvertised, yes, but it is a good one. If you are a Tarantino fan, then my review is pointless. If you are unsure, let me assure you that you are missing a good film. Go watch it!

~

As a bonus, here are the best films I rented this year:

Tokyo Godfathers

The Triplets of Belleville
Cinderella
Noriko's Dinner Table (with bonus: Suicide Club)
Paprika
The Rocky Horror Picture Show

~

Coming up tomorrow: books! *book snob*

P.S.: As an extra bonus, enjoy the Oscar-nominated (!) animated short The Tender Tale of Cinderella Penguin.

No comments:

Post a Comment