Thursday, March 12, 2009

Yea, a book review!

After Dark
by Haruki Murakami
Amazon link



I just finished reading this about twenty minutes ago. This is my first Murakami novel, which I was familiar with since the hardcover came out a long while back. After reading this, it certainly will not by my last time. The story is mostly about a nineteen-year-old bookworm named Mari, who sits in a Denny's reading a book. (Random thing: there are Denny's in Japan?!) She has all these adventures and encounters with familiar faces (an old friend of her sister's) and new faces (the manager of a love hotel, the maids there). All along the way... well, I can't spoil that. Even with what little I just told you, it's not even scratching the surface. There is more to it than what you may think. Overall, it's a wonderful adventure. The characters are wonderful and well-developed, the setting fascinating and frightening all at once, and the plot slow-moving yet engaging. Worth the journey!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to figure out how I'll be able to afford the rest of Mr. Murakami's catalogue in this economy...

No comments:

Post a Comment