Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Best of 2010: Album Edition

It's baaaaaaack!

Here we are folks, near the end of 2010. What a year! So much has gone on and things are only getting more intense. Let's break from the news for a moment to discuss music. It's been a very interesting year for the ear candy. For once, I actually listened to quite a bit of the new releases (egads!) so my list will actually be a bit bigger. Let's make it a top twelve!



Number 12- The Orchard by Ra Ra Riot
  • Earlier this year, I went to see them perform in a record store and liked them since then. They were a surprisingly energetic live band. While the album as a whole didn't sell me (The Rhumb Line is better as a whole), several of the songs made up for the gape of flaws. "Too Dramatic" is wonderful live and still glitters in the studio take. The highlight song (which sounds like Fleetwood Mac's "Sara" so much it's freaky) also happily leaps from the studio to the stage as a solid and passionate number. Check out "Shadowcasting" and "Do You Remember" for more baroque pop goodness.
Highlight- "You and I Know" (live version)


Number 11- Teen Dream by Beach House
  • If you knew me in real life, you would learn quickly that in terms of music, dream pop is one of my least favorite genres. But dammit, did Beach House get me close to changing my mind! As with some of the choices from last year's album list, this was another in-store play. The album was consistent throughout, but it was hard to discern standouts. But the hunt is worth it. You'll find beauties like "Walk In the Park" and "Better Times". I plan on giving this another spin.
Highlight- "Used to Be"


Number 10- The Suburbs by Arcade Fire
  • I already talked briefly about my feelings on the album, but again like with the previous album, I want to give it another spin. While I didn't like this album as much as Funeral, The Suburbs was a superb reckoning for the band. After being quiet for so long, it burst out with anger and determination. "Month of May" and the title track are just a few of the songs that are waiting to be experienced. This album is nominated for some Grammys, going against Lady Gaga at the same time. Godspeed to them, that's gonna be tough.
Highlight- "Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains)"


Number 9- Here Lies Love by David Byrne and Fatboy Slim
  • Faithful followers would note that I already have reviewed it. And so... go read it. Opinion still remains the same. And also, I'm happy to note that my initial thought on the two editions were correct, since it was an in-store play and all. So whee... GO READ IT!!
Highlight- "Walk Like A Woman" (sung by Charmaine Clamor)


Number 8- Sea of Cowards by The Dead Weather
  • I'm gonna confess to something: Jack White is quickly becoming one of my favorite musicians right now. Everything he's done so far has been full of energy and downright amazing. I got into The Dead Weather just this year and am already hooked. "Blue Blood Blues" and "Die By the Drop" are great examples of old-school swamp rock. Think of a louder and more distorted Creedence Clearwater Revival. The album gets extra points for its cover.
Highlight- "Looking at the Invisible Man" (awwww yeaaaaah)


Number 7- Head First by Goldfrapp
  • I'm already a big fan of Goldfrapp, so this was a "Cap'n Obvious" choice. It is back to what the duo have always done best: bouncy pop with airy lyrics and sensual vocals by Alison Goldfrapp. This album goes back a little further, touching on the glory that was the Eighties. Everything sounds like it could've been on the soundtrack of an episode of Miami Vice. Or at least playing in a night club lit only by neon and cocaine. Check out "Shiny and Warm", "Dreaming", and "Hunt" for a strange nostalgia trip. You have permission to freak out of you find yourself wearing ice cream suits and shoes with no socks.
Highlight- the title track


Number 6- Go by Jónsi
  • Because I was planning to see him live in October (along with my sister) and I already enjoyed Sigur Rós' work (well, one album and their film), it was inevitable that I would listen to the bandleader's debut solo album. And I wasn't disappointed. Instead of exclusively singing in Hopelandic (the language used in most Sigur Rós songs), Jónsi sings quite a bit in English. His singing, in whatever language, remains heartfelt with the sweeping landscapes of the music itself. Check out "Animal Arithmetic", "Sinking Friendships", and "Hengilás" for more hidden treasure.
Highlight- "Tornado"


Number 5- The Ghost Who Walks by Karen Elson
  • Again on the subject on Jack White, only this time on his model/singer-songwriter wife Karen Elson. Unlike the ardent swamp rock that has dominated the sound of her husband, Elson takes on a bluesy and more poetic trail. She doesn't skimp on the dark stuff though: Exhibits A thru D ("Lunasa", the title track, "The Truth Is in the Dirt", and "The Last Laugh"). I'm looking forward to future work by her, she's got the stuff.
Highlight- the title track


Number 4- Infinite Arms by Band of Horses
  • Hey look, another album that happened to be an in-store play! Guess it proves that sometimes what you hear on the overhead can be just as good when listening with headphones. I'm pretty much doomed, I like country-rock despite most new country leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Some of the best tracks: the title track, "Laredo", and "Older". As long as Band of Horses does it right, then country-rock is fine by me.
Highlight- "Compliments"


Number 3- Easy Wonderful by Guster
  • As much as it pains me to put it here, in all honesty, it just wasn't the best overall album of this year. Of course, I already wrote my thoughts on it, so go read 'em.
Highlight- "On the Ocean"


Number 2- Broken Bells by Broken Bells
  • Already loving Danger Mouse for Gnarls Barkley, it would only make sense to enjoy one of his other projects. And did I! From beginning to finish, Danger Mouse and Shins lead man James Mercer, craft genius pop song after genius pop song. Much like the last awesome pairing, I want to see more from them. "The High Road", "Mongrel Heart", "The Ghost Inside", and "The Mall & Misery"... I can go on. Just go get the album! (And yes, this was another in-store play. I love my job.)
Highlight- "October"


Aaaaaannd my top choice is...

Number 1- Crazy for You by Best Coast
  • Talk about being ninja'd by something. I bought this album because it was recommended in an issue of Bitch (a fine feminist magazine). It was made for the summer, it's joyful in its melodies yet angsty in lyrical content. At first, I thought I was in an odd mood for falling hard for this album, but after a second listen... nope. Still felt the same way. Try "Boyfriend", "Summer Mood", "Honey", and "Happy" to get your fix of warm tunes during this cold season.
Highlight- the title track

~

Thank you for your time. If you have your favorites, share them!

And now... here's a bonus:
Florence + the Machine covering Fleetwood Mac's "The Chain" (and it is awesome)

No comments:

Post a Comment