Friday, December 31, 2010

Best of 2010: Movie Edition

While this list ended up being longer than I expected, it still isn't as substantial as I wanted it to be. To be fair, I'm extremely picky with newer films. Plus, all the stuff I usually go for are released around this time. And so, on this final day of the year, I conclude this series. Until this time next year... here are my choices for this year's best films:



Number 6- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1
  • This was a "d'oh!" moment when I was making this list and forgot this movie. How could I forget Part 1 of the end of an era? The cast and crew are back with full force, ready to take the audience down that final, fateful journey. We say goodbye to a wonderful series, only to welcome it back one last time before it is the curtain call. The acting has improved greatly, so have the effects and writing, which shows we have come a long way.

Number 5- Toy Story 3
  • I'll spare you the Pixar worship and go straight to the point. This touched me, as it has touched so many others, on that big step towards adulthood: letting go of your old friends (i.e., your toys). It was also a well-made and funny movie. It's sad to see another series come to an end, but it needs to. At least we all had a good time.

Number 4- Shutter Island
  • I honestly forgot this one until I watched Spoony's top ten. I was then like "oh yeah, that film was kinda awesome actually". And so, here it is. Do read the book, it's pretty good. Okay, real review: this was actually more intense than the book and worked with the twists a bit better. I heard that they did change it and it does work. Great acting all around, especially from DiCaprio and Ruffalo. I may need to read the book again, just to clarify it.

Number 3- Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
  • Ah yeah, this one. I need to read the graphic novels... so yeah. Review: this film was enjoyable from beginning to end, never bored its intended audience. It was funny and colorful, earnest and sarcastic. Everyone was great, even the one-note Michael Cera.  

Number 2- Inception
  • As much as I was impressed by this movie, I feel that it could've been expanded upon. Who knows? An opening for a sequel or better, a companion film? Either way, a great cast with some of the most stunning effects I have seen in a long time makes this a fantastic film that took its concept and ran with it. If only it ran a bit further...

Stunner of stunners! The top spot is occupied by two warring forces!

Number 1- True Grit and Black Swan
  • Yeah, couldn't pick one. Both films were fantastic. True Grit was intense and gritty (no pun intended) with a fantastic cast, great cinematography, and a beautiful soundtrack. Jeff Bridges is wonderful as always as the crotchety Rooster Cogburn. As for Black Swan, another tight cast with a soundtrack to die for. The cinematography was a little shaky for my liking. If I had to pick because of story and characters, it would go to True Grit. If I had to pick for intensity and atmosphere, Black Swan would win. But, aside all that, both films were great in their own ways. Strengths nor flaws, both win the top prize.

I couldn't get to see The Tempest, 'cause it ain't playing anywhere near my freaking state. Dammit.

~

Honorary films I saw this year, via Netflix, are:

The Big Lebowski
  • Very late to the game, but enjoyed it very much. Jeff Bridges is my new favorite person.


House
  • A recommendation from a former co-worker. Unsettling and wild as hell, but loved every single minute of it. Watched it twice in less than 24 hours.


I Need That Record!
  • A melancholic documentary on the demise of record stores (with special appearance by Chris Frantz of Talking Heads!). Yet more proof that my tastes are damned archaic.
~

And so, I wish everyone a wonderful new year. May it be safe, warm, fun, loving, and just what you need to end what has been an interesting year. 2011 is looking more promising by the hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment